Sunday 24 July 2016

The 9 year old boy who was chained for over one (1) month by his father for stealing

Korede Taiwo,
On Friday, 22 July, 2016, the men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps alongside the police officers from the Ogun State Police Command rescued a 9 year old boy, Korede Taiwo, who was chained by his father for months.

The boy’s father, Francis Taiwo, is the pastor of Celestial Church of Christ, Key of Joy Parish, Ajibawo area in Atan Ota, Ado-Oda Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State.
According to reports, Korede was chained by his father because of his stealing habit, which he (Korede) admitted.
‘‘It is true that I stole a pot of soup and bowl of eba in our house. I also stole in the neighbourhood. My father’s inability to give money to my step-mother for the upkeep of the family caused it. But I promised not to go back to my old ways.’’ He said.
However, the boy said that he only want to go back to school and become a doctor in future, but he doesn’t want to go back home because of the way his father maltreats him.
‘‘I was not fed regularly when I was chained. My father and my step-mother only fed me twice a day. Some days, I was not given any food. I want to go back to school because I want to be a doctor in the future. I also do not want to go back to my father’s house.’’
Korede’s step mother, Kehinde, who is currently nursing a two (2)  months old baby, said she had on several occasions warned the boy’s father to stop the kind of discipline he inflicts on Korede.
“I usually warned him concerning the way he chained Korede. I had reported him to his twin brother, Kehinde, who lives in Ota, and I also reported to a friend of his. She said.
“When the two talked to him, he would relax a bit, but as soon as they left, he would return to his old ways.” She added.
“We got married three years ago but I learnt that he was once married to a woman from Benin, Edo State. The woman, I was told, bore him four children- two boys and two girls. I only saw the woman in a picture, I have never met her physically. She was said to have left nine years ago, shortly after she gave birth to Korede.”
“All I have been doing is to beg him to stop stealing, as such act does not portray the family in good light.” She claimed.
However, according to a statement by the NSCDC Ogun State PRO, Kareem Olanrewaju, released to Premium Times, he noted that the boy’s step-mother had earlier attempted to stop members of the NSCDC from rescuing the boy.
“She reported to the Father who took step by chaining his hand and legs. This situation was on like that until a Good Samaritan informed NSCDC officials on surveillance patrol of critical infrastructure in the area, they immediately swung into action and ensure the boy was immediately rescued,” Olanrewaju said.
“According to the information from officer in charge of Ado-Odo NSCDC Division who led the rescue operation, the boy had been chained for two weeks at the very Celestial Church of Christ (Key of Joy Parish) the boy was tired and pale, he was not able to talk when he was initially rescued. On getting to the church there was serious resistance by members led by the pastor’s wife Kehinde, but Civil defence Corps men insisted, and they were able to force their way into the church premises. The boy was actually under lock and key. They quickly took him to the office for necessary entries and documentation and proceeded to the General Hospital, Ota.
“The boy was bath and one Dr. Akintunde asked NSCDC officials who took him there to give him lucosade boost, they then called on welder to cut the chains so as to enable them administer treatment. Before NSCDC left the hospital, he has been responding to treatment as he has started talking. However, the Hospital Medical Director one Dr. Osinbajo who came later assures the Corps that the boy will get necessary medical attention needed.
“Meanwhile, the Corps has since liaised with the police at Atan, who promised to continue with the investigation and do all necessary things needed.”
Pastor Francis Taiwo, the father of the boy is apparently on the run, as his whereabouts is yet unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment